Welcome to the Ajo Special Education page! Our department's goal is to provide meaningful education for all of our special needs students and to support parents, teachers, and schools in this endeavor. Student success is our success.
Beliefs & Standards
We provide individualized special education services according to the following beliefs and standards:
- We support our students in the least restrictive environment (LRE) possible.
- Access to general education opportunities is the right of every student.
- All students are part of the school community.
- We align the participation and progress of our special education curriculum to state standards, facilitated through instructional best practices and IEP guidelines.
- Students learn and grow in an inclusive environment.
The Ajo Unified School District continues to screen people from birth to 21 years of age who may be in need of special education services. The screening helps to identify delays in the areas of social or emotional development, cognitive development, vision, hearing, speech and language development, and fine or gross motor skill development.
El Distrito Escolar Unificado de Ajo continua entrevistando gente desde nacimiento a 21 años de edad que están en necesidad de servicios de educación especial. Las entrevistas ayudan a identificar atrasos en las áreas de desarrollo social y emocional, desarrollo cognoscitivo, visión, oír, hablar y desarrollo de lenguaje, y desarrollo de destrezas de movimientos finas or densas.
Supplemental Educational Services
Students in the Ajo Unified School District No. 15 qualify for Supplemental Educational Services (SES) through an allocation of Title I funding the district receives. This service is in the form of extra tutoring support. To receive more information, students and parents may contact the school director's office. Visit the Arizona Department of Education for more information about SES.