Ajo Unified School District
Female student with her face painted like a cat and a group of staff members participating in developmental training

Frequently Asked Questions

For your convenience, we’ve compiled a list of the questions we hear most frequently. We also invite you to review our student handbook for more details or for clarification on our policies. If you still have questions, give us a call—we’re happy to help! 

How do I enroll my child at an Ajo district school?

We are thrilled to welcome new members to our community! Please visit our Registration page for the information about enrolling your child at one of our schools. You may also download and print a copy of the registration forms and bring the completed forms, together with the required documentation, to the main office of the school your child will attend.

Back to Top

Does your school offer breakfast and lunch?

Yes! We operate an excellent nutrition program. Our cafeteria serves breakfast and lunch every school day for a reasonable price. We also participate in the federal free and reduced price lunch program for those who qualify. For more information or to apply for free/reduced meals, please visit our Food Services page.

High School students may enjoy limited off-campus lunch privileges. Students can lose this privilege, individually or collectively, if there are excessive tardies or absences after lunch or if litter from off-campus lunch becomes a problem.

Back to Top

Can my child bring a cell phone to school?

Students may not bring electronic devices into AUSD classrooms unless the teacher is authorizing use for instructional purposes. Electronic devices include, but are not limited to: cell phones, radios, CD players, MP3 players, ear buds, and headphones.

School personnel will confiscate devices from students who violate this regulation. Confiscated items will remain in the school office until we return them to a parent/guardian. Repeat offenders may lose the item(s) for the remainder of the school year. AUSD is not responsible for the care or storage of confiscated items, nor are we responsible for any damage, loss, or theft of any personal item.

Back to Top

What if my child requires medication during the school day?

We will administer medication in accordance with state regulations and with physician and parental approval when the request meets the following requirements:

  1. There must be a written order from the physician stating the name of the medicine, the dosage, and the time the students should take it.
  2. There must be written permission from the parent to allow the school or the student to administer the medicine.
  3. The medicine must come to the school office in the prescription container, or if it is over-the-counter medication, in the original container with all the warnings and directions intact.
  4. We will discard any medicine that is still in our possession within four days of the last day of school.

Please visit the school health services office to complete our medication authorization form.

Back to Top

Do you provide transportation services?

We are pleased to provide our students with safe, reliable transportation to and from school each day. We consider bus riding a privilege and expect all students to adhere to the rules for their own safety as well as the safety of others. For information on bus policies, schedules, and routes, please visit our district Transportation page.

Back to Top

What is PowerSchool, and how do I get a username and password to use it?

PowerSchool is just another way we keep communication between home and school strong. It provides you with almost real-time access to your child’s grades, attendance history, and other important information. To receive your log-in information, please call the front office.

Back to Top

What are the school hours?

Regular School Hours:
8:15 a.m.–3:15 p.m.

Early Release Days:
8:15 a.m.–1:15 p.m.

To view the preschool,  elementary, middle, and high school bell schedules, please visit our Daily Schedules page.

Back to Top

What do I need to do if my child will be absent from school?

If your child must miss school, please call the school office on the day of his/her absence. For information about attendance requirements, our tardy procedure, and what qualifies as an excused absence, please refer to our student handbook.

Back to Top

Do you enforce a dress code?

Every student, employee, and volunteer shall choose attire that is safe, conducive to their work in the school, and creates no potential distractions for others. Examples of inappropriate clothing include:

  1. Any garment or accessory that poses a safety hazard to self or others
  2. Any garment or accessory that displays text or images regarding alcohol, tobacco or drugs, gang affiliation, weaponry, anti-academic sentiments, and/or inappropriate language/sexuality
  3. Hats, hoods, bandanas or any other headwear indoors
  4. Off-the-shoulder tops, halter and tube tops, spaghetti straps, tank tops, any sleeveless top that reveals undergarments, low necklines that reveal cleavage, tops without full back coverage, unbuttoned shirts, crop tops, or any garment that exposes the midriff or undergarments
  5. Transparent clothing or garments with holes anywhere between the collarbone and knees, including mesh fabric, laced, and frayed jeans (Clothing with any fraying or holes must have backing or lining not permitting exposed skin between the collarbone and the knees.)
  6. Skirts, shorts or dresses shorter than the wearer's fingertips with shoulders squared and arms hanging at sides
  7. Pants, shorts, or skirts worn below the hipline (e.g., sagging pants)
  8. We do not allow excessively tight clothing (e.g., leggings/tights/Spandex/Spanx) as outerwear. However, we do allow leggings when covered by a top that reaches mid-thigh with shoulders squared and arms hanging at the side.
  9. Pajamas or sleepwear
  10. Bare feet or bedroom slippers

District staff will refer individuals wearing inappropriate clothing to the principal's office for appropriate discipline.

Back to Top

Will my child have access to the Internet while on campus?

Yes, and we ask all students to remember that the use of technology resources in the Ajo Unified School District is a privilege, not a right. Any action by a user specifically designated below or constituting an inappropriate use of a computer system or network is subject to consequences. Acceptable use of the electronic information services requires that the use of the resources be in accordance with the following guidelines and support the educational goals of the Ajo Unified School District. The user must:

  1. Use the computer systems for educational purposes only.
  2. Agree not to submit, publish, display, or retrieve/download or install any executable program, inappropriate material, including material that is defamatory, abusive, obscene, profane, gang related, sexually threatening, racially offensive, or illegal.
  3. Not attempt to harm, modify, dismantle, remove parts, damage, or gain unauthorized access to district systems or data, devices, or network accounts that belong to other students or staff, destroy software, or interfere with the security system.
  4. Notify a system administrator about lost or stolen passwords or if there is reason to believe that someone has obtained unauthorized access to the system.
  5. Not use the network in any way that would disrupt the use of the network by others.
  6. Understand that email on networks is not secure or private.
  7. Not reveal home addresses or personal phone numbers over the computer system.
  8. Not use the computer to make any unauthorized purchases or to conduct any non-approved business.
  9. Abide by all copyright regulations, thereby refraining from copying copyrighted software.
  10. Log out when finished.
  11. Follow all district policies and student handbooks as written.

We will charge students a fee for the cost of reactivation of their account if the account is disabled for misuse.

Back to Top

Can my high schooler drive to and from school?

Students who have a valid driver’s license may drive automobiles or other street legal vehicles to school. We expect student drivers to abide by the rules and regulations governing the use of their vehicles. Permission to drive to and park on campus is a privilege, which school personnel may revoke for violation of school regulations or for unsafe driving practices.

Back to Top

How do I donate my tax credit money to the school?

You can make your contribution in person at your child’s school office, or you may mail the form to us. We’ll mail you a receipt for tax reporting purposes. Please visit our Tax Credit page for more information.

Back to Top