Fine Art Department
Ajo Schools Fine Art education program encompasses a broad range of art-making practices. The art curriculum at Ajo schools focuses on the elements and principles of art and design as a jumping-off point to further creative expression. Students will explore a variety of mediums and, in the process, develop observational and technical skills.
At Ajo, we pride ourselves on high expectations in creative art-making and providing meaningful experiences for our students. We foster a love of learning and prepare students for lifelong learning, curiosity, originality, and success.
Learning Targets & Framework
- Identify and create artwork based on the elements of art and principles of art and design.
- Demonstrate through their artwork how to use the elements of art to show movement and express feelings.
- Recognize, compare, and use different media to create their artwork.
- Develop a respect and appreciation for the artwork of artists, including classmates’ artwork.
- Recognize and compare differences in several art mediums.
- Create representational and abstract art.
- Learn to create depth in two-dimensional artwork using one- and two-point perspective.
- Communicate thoughts, feelings, and experiences to others through art.
- Understand terms that are basic to art media, procedures, and techniques, as well as art appreciation.
- Use imagination for originality in art making.
- Show autonomy in studio practices, creativity, and ideation through the eight
- Studio Habits of Mind
Framework: Develop Craft, Engage and Persist, Envision, Express, Observe, Reflect, Stretch & Explore, Understand Art Worlds.
Please contact Ms. Jennifer Sain with questions about your student’s art class.